Pet Health And Care  >>  Questions Asked  >>  Dog Health

How to treat food poisoning in dogs



(November 3, 2011)

What foods are poisonous to dogs?

Dogs are more prone to problems like food poisoning, as compared to humans. This could be because several people offer their pets foods that are poisonous to dogs, especially human food. Many varieties of human foods or foods for other animals can be very harmful to dogs and therefore you should make sure that they are completely eliminated from your pet’s diet. Given below is a list of poisonous foods for dogs:

• Alcoholic drinks
• Baby food, especially if it contains onion powder
• Cat food, which is too high in protein and fat
• Citrus oil extracts, which could cause the dog to vomit
• Cooked or raw bones from poultry & fish
• Corn cobs
• Dairy products, including milk
• Garlic and onions
• Large amounts of table scraps
• Macadamia nuts
• Mushrooms
• Potatoes
• Raisins and grapes, as they contain unknown forms of toxin for canines
• Rhubarb
• Salty food and snacks
• Seeds from plums and peaches
• Tea, coffee, chocolate, aerated beverages or any other form of caffeine
• Tomato leaves and stems
• Uncooked eggs or fish
• Yeast

Foods poisonous to dogs also include toxic plants, moldy food, spoiled food or food from the garbage. Fortunately, food poisoning in dogs is not as serious as it is in people. Nevertheless, it is essential for you to seek immediate medical attention, in case you notice the symptoms of food poisoning in your dog.
Submitted by N on November 3, 2011 at 01:25

 

What are the signs of food poisoning in dogs and puppies?

If you spend hundreds of dollars on branded dog food every year, you are probably going to assume that your pet is at no risk for food poisoning. However, several dog lovers or even children may offer your pet foods that are not entirely good for him, while you are not looking. Such foods may also lead to food poisoning. In several cases, the signs of food poisoning in dogs may be visible, after your pet has consumed a toxic plant, or has ingested household cleaning products. It is absolutely essential for you to recognize the signs of food poisoning in puppies and older dogs, so that you identify the problem immediately and seek treatment accordingly. Given below are some of the common signs of food poisoning in dogs:

• Vomiting
• Increase in drooling
• Loss of appetite and a decrease of interest in eating
• Mild sluggishness
• Diarrhea or loose stools
• Unintentional aggression or other changes in behavior
• Excessive shivering

Very often the only signs of food poisoning in dogs include the symptoms of pain, like whimpering, curling up in a corner, acting lethargic and so on. Serious cases of food poisoning are usually characterized by severe dehydration, seizures, collapsing, muscle spasms and disorientation.

Though food poisoning in dogs is not as serious as it is in humans, you should never ignore the condition. It is absolutely essential for you to seek medical attention for your dog in case any of the signs of food poisoning become evident.
Submitted by N on October 17, 2011 at 01:25

 

Are grapes poisonous to dogs?

Pet owners around the world are becoming more aware of the foods that are healthy for dogs as well as those that should be avoided. After reports that were published a few years ago, many pet owners began wondering “are grapes poisonous to dogs?”. The answer to that is “Yes”; grapes are poisonous to dogs and your pet can suffer from serious side effects after eating just 7 or 8 grapes. Studies indicate that the consumption of grapes can cause renal failure in many dogs. At times the consumption of grapes can also lead to death in dogs.

The exact reason why grapes are harmful to dogs is still not clear, but there are several theories. A few pet experts claim that a substance known as tannin that is present in the grapes could lead to toxicity in dogs. Some of the other components of grapes that could lead to renal failure in dogs include fungal contaminants or heavy metals. However, there is no adequate evidence to support these theories.

It has been seen that the grapes poisonous to dogs could include absolutely any variety, be they seedless or with seeds, store bought, home grown or directly from a winery. Soon after consuming a few grapes, your dog may start showing the symptoms of food poisoning. In case you see your dog vomiting or passing watery stools after consuming grapes, do rush him to the vet immediately.
Submitted by N on October 7, 2011 at 05:57

 

The problem with dogs is that their susceptibility to food poisoning is a lot higher than us. This could be attributable to a number of reasons such as typical scavenging behavior or simply owner’s ignorance. For instance, lots of children and even adults have a tendency to occasionally offer chocolate as a treat to their otherwise well cared for dogs.

Dogs are quite susceptible to food poisoning not just because of their eating habits, but also because of their outdoor excursions. Apart from the fact that they do tend to hunt small game, and scavenge in a natural habitat, they also love to explore their surroundings, weaving in and out of thickets, woodpiles and storage ports. This behavior exposes them to risks of poisoning not just from dietary sources, but also from poisonous natural vegetation, that may often be hard to identify.
As in humans, food poisoning in dogs is not always something severe, and is simply characterized by symptoms that accentuate your body’s inability to cope with and process foods that have been ingested. In dogs too, the typical reaction of the body is to attempt to flush out the toxins or undesirable substance through vomiting or diarrhea. Food poisoning in dogs symptoms are also therefore very similar and quite easy to detect. They could include vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, and feelings of uneasy restlessness. Food poisoning can however be very serious at times and since your dog can not convey to you the source or nature of poison and the severity of the problem, it would be best to take adequate precautions. No matter what the nature of the poison, it is imperative that you first purge the digestive system of any offensive foods. Keeping this in mind you’ll need to keep your dog of all foods, providing it with just water for the next 24 hours.

After the first 24 hours you may begin to gradually reintroduce bland foods like pasta, boiled rice or even chicken, turkey and white fish. After having put your dog onto a bland diet, its bowel movements should gradually be restored, and after two normal stools you can begin to reintroduce its usual diet. First begin by adding to the bland foods some of the dog’s normal, more palatable food. The amount added can be increased steadily but slowly. Within two to three days the condition should have improved drastically and the dog should be able to resume its usual diet. If dog vomiting and diarrhea do not abate with this treatment, then make sure that you consult with a veterinarian at the earliest. Prolonged dog diarrhea and vomiting can pose a serious risk and may even prove to be fatal. If the symptoms are very strong too, it could be an indication of the severity of the poisoning and would therefore warrant medical attention. 

Submitted by N M on December 31, 2009 at 01:26

 

Read more questions in Dog Health
Related Topics
 
Related Articles
Log In Here
*
(User name is your email address)
*
 
Search
 
Home