Pet Health And Care  >>  Questions Asked  >>  Dog Care

How to Prevent Dog from Getting an Electric Shock? Care for an electrocuted dog



Unfortunately, most dog walkers discover a danger, only sadly, when victimized and so I wanted to inform you of StreetZaps. (April 21, 2010)

Electrical leakages or ‘stray voltage’ as it is called, is a very old problem that was first associated with farms. However, in recent years this has become a growing concern as there have been numerous injuries and even fatalities related to electrical leakages. The chances of an individual suffering from injuries brought on by stray voltage is highest in winter when the snow combines with the salt used to melt it to form a salty solution. Salt water is a better conductor of electricity as compared to pure water and so this saltwater slush is especially dangerous. The amount of electricity being used increases during the summer months and this often causes problems with electrical shortages. Faulty wiring is another common contributor to stray voltage.

Exposed wires underground can add to the amount of stray voltage. Since these wires cannot be seen, an owner may not realize the cause of their dog’s distress. The intense pain that the animal experiences often causes it to lash out at its owner. Recently, a young girl died of an accidental electrocution while out walking her dogs. Her dogs first received a shock from a metal plate on the street and while she was trying to help her dogs, she came in contact with a metal curb and was electrocuted. While cases of human fatalities are not very common, the number of canine deaths caused by stray voltage is increasing. There have been numerous cases where people have been walking their dog and as the animal walks over a metal plate or manhole cover, it cries out in pain and succumbs to convulsions. In most cases, the dog dies before it can receive any medical help. There have been cases where the animal has lingered on in extreme pain for a couple of hours before passing away. While male dogs are at a higher risk of getting electrocuted while urinating on an electrically charged object, females are also at risk. Do not change your routes often and avoid places that have lampposts with open panels which are an electrical hazard. If your dog resists going by a certain route, do not force him/her but instead try to change your route. Find out local help sites that offer information on problem areas that are prone to electrical leakages.

You can also further educate yourself on this topic by scouring the internet and by talking to your vet. It would also be a good idea to talk to your vet about first aid for such a situation.
Submitted by N M on April 21, 2010 at 12:58

 

Read more questions in Dog Care
Related Topics
 
Related Articles
Log In Here
*
(User name is your email address)
*
 
Search
 
Home