Pesticide, Fertilizer Poisoning in Pet Dog | Lawn Chemicals Harmful for Pet

Lawn Chemical Poisoning in Pet Dogs

Many chemicals have harmful effects on your pets. The story is entirely different when the chemicals are stored safely in your home as they are out of reach of your pets. However, the lawn is a matter of concern as the pets run, play, eat grass, roll about, and groom themselves there. They may end up ingesting the harmful chemicals which you may have used in your lawn. So you need to administer lawn chemicals with close supervision, otherwise it may put your pets at serious risk.

Insecticide Poisonous for Pets

Lawn chemicals can be dangerous to pets and have health risks associated such as skin irritation, rashes, and damage to a pet’s paws from walking on a chemically treated lawn. So it is necessary to know what is going into your lawn so that you can check its effect on your furry friends. The common symptoms of pesticide or fertilizer poisoning in pets are increased heart rate, unsteady gait, foaming of the mouth, difficulty in breathing, vomiting, seizures and collapse.

Here are a few pointers to educate you on lawn chemical poisoning and the steps to be taken to ensure a healthy environment for pet health care.

  • You must avoid using pesticides such us insecticides and herbicides in your lawns as pets are more likely to suffer their ill effects.
  • The best lawn for your pets is one which is free of fertilizers and pesticides. Fertilizers are known to contain heavy metals which can prove to be hazardous to your dog health.
  • You must be cautious and always read the manufacturer’s instructions while purchasing lawn products and know more about the product’s toxicity and potential environmental impact. If possible look for natural alternatives which are non toxic to your pets.
  • You must water your lawn after the application of fertilizers and pesticides; meanwhile prevent your pets from going into the lawn.
  • You must develop a routine of washing your pet’s paws or fur if they have been playing in the lawn immediately after the application of fertilizers and pesticides.
  • You can also maintain a small separate area in your lawn for your pet which is not chemically treated .The pet can use this area to run, play, and walk.
  • You must never allow your pet to drink ground water from an area where the lawn has been sprayed with chemicals.
  • Lawn chemicals can be absorbed by pets through their skin, swallowed, or inhaled. Thus, the use of pet safe lawn fertilizers, pesticides and other chemicals can negate such problems.
  • In case your pet comes in direct contact with a lawn chemical, immediately call the local poison control office or a veterinarian to seek medical attention for your pet.

Get to know about Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs and Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs