Diet for Elder Cat:
Older cats often require smaller meals at regular intervals instead of two main meals.
Researchers say that the changes in the digestive system happen after the cat turns seven. Thus, food for elder cats should include easily digested protein.
Best Food for Older Cats:
- If you have a cat, then you must have noticed that your feline pets enjoy dry food or kibble, semi-moist pellets, tinned food, and occasional treats of fish or meat. If you plan to use tinned food for your cat, then make sure that the uneaten food is refrigerated otherwise it will become fly-blown or stale, and that might cause digestive problems.
- There is something called ‘life-stage’ foods for older and less active cats.
These foods are suitable for these types of cats because it is formulated to suit the digestive system of an older cat and can reduce the risk of obesity in cats that aren’t too active. However, these foods are expensive, and you should resort to such foods only if your cat isn’t able to digest ordinary cat food.
- Cats also enjoy dry food or soft food and the crunchy food keeps their teeth healthy.
Make sure that you provide enough water for them to drink if your cats eat more of dry food. However, older cats may not be able to eat a lot of dry food because of dental problems. This will lead to further indigestion and regurgitation.
- You can feed your older cat tinned food that has been chopped finely. If the food is firm, mash it with gravy or warm water. You might also want to add some gravy to dry food to soften the texture.
- Remember to include roughage in the cat’s diet to combat constipation and weight gain. Older cats especially need extra roughage to get their bowels moving smoothly. You can add more roughage by mashing cooked mashed potato, cooked pasta, cooked rice, canned pumpkin, or a spoonful of porridge oats and bran into the tinned food. You can also give your older cat some warm oat cereal or porridge in the mornings.
- Older cats do not have a sharp sense of smell and can become fussy eaters. You might want to give them strong-smelling tinned food to overcome the problem.
- If your cat has been losing its appetite or having problems eating, then you should take it to a vet. Speak to him about the best cat food for older cats as proper nutrition is very essential.
- Make sure that your old cat is drinking a lot of water too.