Our pets are largely dependent on us to take care of them and a responsible pet owner will always want the best for his/her four legged companions.
It is a popular belief that cats do not need much grooming because they lick themselves clean. While this is true to an extent, the whole truth is that they need our help in grooming. The eyes, ears and coats of cats should be cleaned periodically so that the cat remains clean.
There are two different kinds of coats in cats.
It does not matter whether the cat is a pure bred or a mixed breed, the grooming of cat depends a lot on the length of the coat. Cats like the Siamese, Cornish Rex, and the Burmese have a single short coat. These cats require very little grooming. However, the cats which have a thick double coat, need a little more grooming.
They need to be bathed, cleaned, and combed regularly so that they don’t give off bad odors and appear clean and neat. Cats that have a long flowing coat should be groomed everyday. Grooming is also important because unclean pets may often carry viruses and bacteria which make you and your family fall sick.
Cat Grooming Tips
Here are some tips that you can use to make sure your cats remain clean and healthy.
- Just like us, our cat’s eyes are also sensitive to soaps and chemicals. It is therefore important to apply an ointment or add eye drops in the cat’s eyes so that it does not get bothered because of soap.
- Cats are small animals and do not need large pools of water. Simply fill your basin with warm water and place your cat in it.
- Using a small glass or a cup, pour water over the cat till the hair becomes completely wet.
- If you want to clean your cat’s head, you can use a mild baby shampoo for it.
- Rinse the cat thoroughly because if soap remains on the skin, it could cause infections and other problems.
Cat Grooming Problems
The body of the cat secretes a natural oil to keep the skin and the fur soft. Though this is a natural mechanism of the body to keep itself healthy, the oil secreted can cause the hair to matt and lump. Some cats that have a habit of scratching themselves can cause the fur to knot and shed. These are some of the grooming problems that you can face with your cherished pets.
Cat Grooming Styles:
Some cat owners like to give their cats a special grooming by cutting or shaving their hair. There are some very popular kitty grooming styles that are popular among pet owners. Pet specialists can give your kitty a Lion Cut or a complete shave to make it look exotic.