Dog nausea is a common ailment observed in many dogs. Nausea is a symptom and not a disease and can be caused by many conditions in dogs. It is important that you seek your vet’s advice before starting any treatment as canine nausea can be symptomatic of a serious condition.
Nausea is a condition where an individual feels ill and feels the urge to vomit. Nausea can occur as a result of some infection or disease in the digestive system. Nausea is also associated with balance related issues. This is why some individuals experience motion sickness while traveling in buses or on boats. The sensation of nausea is most uncomfortable and can lead to feelings of general sickness, malaise and tiredness. Dog nausea occurs with a similar mechanism when compared with human nausea and therefore having an effective dog nausea remedy would be necessary. Just like with humans, dog motion sickness medication would need to begin quickly as nausea in dogs would affect their health to a large extent. They will suffer from nausea diminished appetite and will not be able to consume proper meals.
Dog nausea and vomiting are amongst the most common symptoms of illness that prompt a visit to a doctor. While this condition is common, its causes may vary greatly which is why it is important to visit a doctor. There are some well known causes of dog nausea and vomiting which should be examined so that they can be avoided or, at the very least, understood. These causes include illness, stomach infections, ingestion of poisonous or toxic substances, worms, excessively fast food consumption, motion sickness due to high speed travel and sudden changes in the diet. Pregnancy, as with humans, is also a common cause of dog morning sickness.
One can avoid dog nausea in the car by ensuring that the dog does not eat food just prior to the journey. This will mean that there is food left over in the digestive tract which may cause the food to be expelled as a result of the motion sickness. Dog or puppy nausea in the car can also be avoided by allowing the dog to travel in the front or middle row of the car. In many cases, the rear most compartments tend to bob about on bumps much more, thus intensifying the sensation of motion and the resulting motion sickness. The dog can also be allowed to walk or play before the trip is planned so that it spends some energy and digests all its food.
Dog nausea caused by excessively rapid food consumption can be avoided by giving the dog smaller meals. Regular feeding of the dog also ensures that the digestive system is capable of coping with any food that is consumed. Dogs are often too eager to eat their food which is why it is up to the owner to ensure that the dog does not do so in a rapid and unnecessary fashion.
Dog and Puppy Nausea
Dog nausea and puppy nausea can easily be caused by some infection that is picked up. Dogs tend to be extremely curious and may go foraging around for things to bite and chew at. While this helps to boost the immunity of the dog and keep it occupied, it can also lead to a situation where the dog ends up ingesting something that is infected or poisonous. In severe cases this will lead to diarrhea, fever and vomiting. However, in most cases, the dog will display symptoms of dog nausea as the body will simply be discomforted by the presence of the substance in the digestive tract. When dog nausea and vomiting occur together, one must try and feed the dog after an extended break. During this time, the dog can be given plenty of water and any liquid based foods. This will keep the dog nourished while allowing the digestive system to regain some of its strength. Dog nausea and vomiting is much more common in puppies as their digestive systems are, as yet, underdeveloped. New foods that are introduced to the system could trigger off aggressive reactions which would lead to the development of such symptoms.
Dog Nausea Causes
Dog nausea can be caused due to any of the following factors:
- Pregnancy in female dogs
- Motion sickness
- Sudden change in diet
- Eating too much dry food too quickly
- Eating table food
- Stomach upset
Dog Nausea Symptoms
The symptoms of dog nausea include:
- Excessive drooling
- Excessive salivation
- Loss of appetite
- Dry gums
- Weight loss
Dog Nausea Treatment
If you suspect that your dog is nauseous, here are a few preventive tips and home remedies which you can use in order to soothe your dog’s troubled stomach:
- Make sure that your dog drinks plenty of water, especially when it is vomiting. Vomiting leads to dehydration in the body, further making the dog more uncomfortable and sick.
- If your dog has vomited, you must not to give it food or water for six hours after the last vomiting episode and let its stomach cleanse itself of the irritant. Then start by giving very small amounts of water at short intervals.
- You must feed your dog several small meals a day instead of one big meal.
- You must include raw garlic in your dog’s diet in order to protect its digestive tract by keeping it free of parasites.
- You may also feed your dog with bland food such as cooked chicken or white rice, as it helps in calming its stomach.
- Give your dog peppermint herb as it soothes an upset stomach. The leaves of the peppermint plant can be eaten raw or alternatively you can also make peppermint tea and give it to your dog for drinking.
- If you are travelling, feed your pet at least two hours before the time. Also, exercise or play with your dog before travelling, as this makes them comfortable during the trip.
- An effective remedy for canine nausea is a combination of herbal ingredients such as ginger and mint, as it provides support to the digestive system and maintains balance.
- If you see persistent nausea and dog vomiting you must immediately visit your vet for proper medications and treatment for a quick recovery.
Dog Nausea Remedy and Medication
There are a number of different methods that may work as a dog nausea remedy. One should use any of the solutions mentioned above such as improving the way in which the dog eats and ensuring that situations that contribute to nausea are avoided. There is also the option of using dog nausea medication and dog morning sickness medication. This should be used in conjunction with all the above mentioned steps that would help with the condition. Dog nausea medication can also be given in natural form by providing the dog with peppermint and garlic in its diet. Peppermint helps to calm the digestive system down while garlic is an antibacterial and antifungal agent which helps to kill offensive bacteria and fungus in the digestive tract of the dog. Most dogs respond well to dog nausea medication. However, it should be noted that the avoidance of activities that induce nausea such as car travel should definitely be something that is attempted by the owner so that the unwanted problem of dog nausea is avoided.